Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you decide to open a bank account or other financial account in a foreign country --- whether to facilitate the money transfer at closing or just to have ready access to liquid local currency while living in your new home --- you will be required to provide certain information about that account to US government. There are some questions on the Form 1040 that ask if you are the beneficial owner of, or have signature authority over, a foreign financial account. Also, the Dept of Treasury requires another form (not a tax form, and not submitted to the IRS) from US persons with foreign bank accounts, commonly called the "FBAR", to be filed annually.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.