Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
If you donated to a certified charity campaign, you should have received a tax receipt from PayPal Giving Fund (or FirstGiving, prior to November 3, 2016). You can also visit the campaign you donated to and look for this badge:

Right. And as I mentioned, this was not a certified charity campaign. However, from the same link you provided:
If you don't see the 'certified charity' badge on the campaign you donated to, then the campaign is a personal campaign. In this case, you'll want to consult with a tax professional in your area to see if your donation is eligible to claim as a tax deduction.

So I'm in this second category. I'm sure a lot of that is simply CYA. But if the underlying recipient of the donation was a public school which would normally be deductible, does my donation allow me to claim the deduction?

You guys are my "tax professional", lol... (I use TurboTax)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.