Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
If you don't have a hang-up about taking medicine, and a lot of people do, you might ask your doctors about being started on a statin (Lipitor, Zocor, Pravachol, etc.) for primary prevention of heart disease. Statins also seem to lower the C-reactive protein - CRP - that is strongly correlated with higher risk of heart disease, though the cause and effect mechanism isn't yet known. Talk to your doc about side-effects like elevated liver tranaminases (always checked for because of seriousness but rare), and myopathy or intense muscle aches that indicate muscle break down which can occur with these drugs.

ab - I take Lipitor myself for primary prevention

The last time I saw my dr. he suggested both a statin and a medication to lower my bp as preventive measures. I did balk at both. The bp meds don't concern me too much, but I am not sure about statins. I also live with FMS, and possibility of more muscle pain is REALLY a concern for me.

Susan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.