Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
If you dont mind me asking, That strategy you explain about monitoring good performers while they last and trimming some down monthly that start under performing, Do you do this in a portfolio that holds the other funds you mentioned such as an international, a growth, a hot sector, and a bond fund? I was curious if you held other accounts like a robo advisory w/ a low fee, a Roth, or a 401k that you mostly left alone, other than occasional rebalance, like an auto pilot? I feel good about owning the roth, the 401k, and my managed brokerage account, that I can just tweek my risk profile here and there. I feel it gives me a little protection as I learn a little in my brokerage account. Although, I have been looking into my 401k plan, and debating if i should use there brokerage window they offer, just to potentially add a few stronger funds, that might give me a slightly better return, but I wouldn't go crazy. I just heard the typical target funds are set up kind of lousy, but I dont know enough yet to make any changes to the company plan. The bond exposure has been difficult to grasp. I understand the inverse relationship, I just cant figure out when I actually should buy them or how many(Ive heard about the age rule, but heard it might not be to reliable). When you say buy the investment grade individually, so you can get back full face value. Does this not apply to bond funds that are considered pretty safe? Is the 15 year timeline determined, because it is a reasonable amount of time to allow the bonds to mature, and give yourself an opportunity to gain all the face value back? I guess anything longer just starts to get a little to risky? Thanks again for your insight.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.