Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
If you find investing difficult and onerous, you should stop after this step and instead spend your free time doing something you really enjoy (after all, isn't that what FIRE is all about?).

If you have the desire and think you have the aptitude to pursue active investing, then you should start a small active account, while continuing to contribute the lion's share of your savings to the passive indexing approach. For example, start a Roth IRA through a discount broker like Ameritrade, contributing up to $3,000 annually while continuing to plow 3-4 times that amount into your 401(k) index funds. You'll inevitably go through a learning curve, and there's no need to draw down your entire nest egg while you're learning.

I hate to be a party-pooper, but I take umbrage to this statement. Index funds are not only for people who think investing is "boring" or "difficult." I'd spell out what I think, but I've already posted it on another board, so I'll just include the link:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=19410765

-tdx

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.