Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

If you got a subsidy - technically an Advance Payment of the Premium Tax Credit - you don't need to repay any excess advance payment for 2020.

And if you've filed already, you're probably in the same boat as the early unemployment filers - wait a bit for the additional refund until the IRS figures out how to handle it.

I'll watch for further information from the IRS to see what actions I need to take, since we've already filed our 2020 taxes and included our healthcare expenses in our Schedule A.

So, I finally got my refund from the IRS, and it did appear to reflect the forgiveness of the Excess Premium Tax Credit. Although the amount was just a little bit off (in our favor) of what I was expecting.

Am I correct to assume that I will receive some documentation from the IRS indicating exactly how they came up with this figure?

Because I included our medical expenses including insurance premiums on our schedule A, I will now need to file a 1040-X to make it right. Because it comes out very close to break even between itemizing and taking the standard deduction after this change, I intend to just take the standard deduction now.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.