Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
NYYanqui wrote, As we know, REITs have generally reached healthy valuations. Question for this distinguished Board: if tomorrow you had $20,000 to invest in ONE REIT, which would it be, and why?

I liked his question so much I am starting a new thread.

My response is out of character for conservative REITster. TZH.

Trizec Hahn is a large Canadian real estate company with substantial properties in the U.S. They have announced a reorganization, to take place in May, whereby they will form a new U.S. REIT, Trizec Properties, to be officed in NY, if I remember correctly. They plan to sell a significant number of currently held properties instead of placing them in the REIT.

They believe the substantial savings in income taxes, etc. will allow them to pay a dividend in 2003 in the US$1.30 to US$1.45 range. The stock is around $16.00 currently, which will give a yield in the 8 to 9% range, if they successfully pull this off. At $16, TZH is selling at a 28% discount to the $22.38 NAV (RSR NAV).

Fundamentally, TZH is OK, not great. Its debt is about 55% of asset value (NAV + Debt). I would prefer the debt to be less than 50%.

Due to the substantial discount to NAV and the prospect of an 8% or more yield, this one looks like a good speculation, with a better that even chance of significant price rise over the next couple of years.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.