Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
If you have a complicated return with lots of investments or have property sales to deal with this year it may be inadequate.

I have used the basic program for many of these. It does let you download your brokers 1099 with all your investment transactions included. You merely check them for accuracy.

I have used it for sale of home with capital gains exclusion.

The forms are there for commercial property etc, mlps, reits, etc. But of course, at some level you need to know what you want the forms to look like. There is much automation filling numbers into the slots but not lots of handholding.

They do check for potential items that could lead to an audit. And they promise to defend you if the irs questions your return (but that has not happened to me).

If your return is very complex, you might be better off to see a pro rather than diy it with a computer program.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.