Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
If you have a copy of your Form 1040 Instructions for 1998, turn to Page 64 and look at Schedule X if you are single. It says, if your taxable income is not more than $25,350, your ordinary income (income from wages, interest, dividends, and some other stuff) is taxed at 15%. If you have the standard deduction and just one exemption, your gross income will be $6950 above that to produce that taxable income. Long term capital gains are taxed at a lower rate, namely 10%, if they keep you in that bracket. For 1999 the limits will change a bit because the brackets (but not the rates) are adjusted each year for inflation. But not much.

If you don't have the form, go to the IRS Web site, They have downloadable copies of most everything. Many of these are in adobe pdf format. If you don't have the Adobe Acrobat reader, you will have to download that too if they are in that format. It's free, and a link to Adobe is provided. But the software is maybe 4 MB, so it will take maybe 15 minutes over a newish modem and phone line.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.