No. of Recommendations: 1
If you have a Traditional IRA, you can convert it to a Roth IRA if your income falls within limits based on your filing status. These limits are not all the same as the limits for contributing to a new Roth IRA.

Hi,

Thank you for replying so quickly, with such good info. and for correcting my terminology. I kinda thought I was using the wrong words, but didn't know the right ones.

If the limits for converting are not the same as the limits for contributing, where can I find out the limits for converting? I have been reading publications on the IRS website, but haven't found any information about converting......... but I thought it was called recharacterizing, so I have to look again now that I have the correct terminology.

Do people know about this conversion stuff? I was excited about them raising the amout that you can contribute to a Roth IRA, so you can imagine how ecstatic I am about being able to put thousands and thousands of dollars into the Roth just by paying the taxes on it*. I sorta feel like I'm cheating.......... this is a way to totally get around that maximum contribution thing. I think this will have a SIGNIFICANT positive impact on my retirement planning!

WOO HOO!!!

Thank you!!!

Karen

* I mean by contributing to a 401K, transferring it to a traditional IRA, and then paying the taxes to convert it to a Roth.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.