No. of Recommendations: 0
If you have decided you want to invest in stocks, that is indeed a good reason to transfer your previous employer's 401K to an IRA. Presumably you will want to establish that IRA at a discount brokerage.

By the way, you may still make annual contributions to a Roth IRA if you are married with an income up to $145k. If you are not married, you can still make annual $2K contributions to a conventional IRA even though you participate in your employer's 401K. Your contributions will not be tax deductible, but the earnings will still grow tax deferred. In your tax bracket, that is probably a valuable advantage.

Best of luck to you. Fool on!!
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.