Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you have maxed your Roth IRA contributions for the year, you cannot contribute additional cash to a traditional IRA. The limit is the sum of contributions to both.

You can rollover the funds in your previous 401K to an IRA, and it can be your existing rollover IRA. I don't understand your tax deferred comment. Rollover IRA transfers from 401ks do not count as contributions and are not included in your annual contribution limit.

Yes, if you have funds to save, investing in a taxable account in the long term buy and hold (LTBH) style is the best you can do. You pay taxes only when you sell and then at capital gains rates. And note that index funds are an excellent vehicle for this. They pay dividends, but those too are taxed at capital gains rates.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.