Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
...If you have some useful rule of thumb, methodology or math formula that incorporates that 25% tax, and/or suggested method of thought about how to select those II recs that will be an optimal addition in favor of a non-dividend-paying rec, I will be grateful if you share it....

Hi OTV!

I'm not familiar with the rules of your tax situation, so one thing I would ask is whether the 25% tax applies to MLP distributions as well as normal dividends.

Another thought ( from a net dividend after taxes standpoint ) is that you may want to look at the normally higher dividends from REITS, if they are all taxed the same.

As I understand it, your strategy focuses primarily on capital gains versus "current income". However, please understand that many of us here are not focused on "current income"; rather on building a dividend stream that grows faster than inflation so that when we retire/start to use these funds, they cover most/all of our living expenses without regard to stock prices at the time. The dividends we receive are plowed back into building this stream versus spending the dividends now.

Another thought for you: many studies have shown that over the long run, dividend paying stocks have outperformed non-dividend payers in total return. Indeed, some 40% of the markets returns over the long run have come from dividends.

Certainly other TMF services focus more on capital gains than II does (SA, HG, IV, etc.,), but for me, I wish I had adopted the dividend growth strategy when I was 35 versus at 57 when I did ( now 67 )....because I would be a whole lot better off. ;-)

Cheers!
Murph
Home Fool
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.