Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you hide your mothers' money, who will be paying the bills at the Nursing Home? Welfare? Your plan might be considered to be fraud. Or at least immoral. The Government might disallow the Welfare due to the Gifting.
To answer your question, you would need to pay Gift Tax on $13000 of the $23000 in the year that you receive the gift, and you would pay income tax on the $2400 per year at your normal rate.

Unless the tax law still to be signed changes this, no tax is due on the gift at the time of the gift. There is a unified gift and estate tax currently. So, the 13K above the 10K that she could gift to you needs to be reported, but it is just deducted from the lifetime gift and estate value of 675K that she can gift to whoever sh chooses above the 10K/year amount. So, unless at her death she has more than 662K to be inherited, no gift tax is owed. However, I believe, money is still "counted" as part of you mother's assets as far as Medicaid is concerned, if she has given it away within the last two years of needing the Medicaid assistance.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.