Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you look in your tax manual (page D-4 of the IRS 1998 1040 tax manual) under short term capital gains, it references two methods that one may use to Defer the payment of "Short Term" capital gains. One of the methods is to purchase common stock within 60 days of selling a security which will be subject to short term capital gains. I am simply looking for a definition of common stocks and to know if I can purchase them from my broker. In addition has anyone used either of the two methods discussed in my first note, if yes please provide me with some insight
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.