Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

If you look in your tax manual (page D-4 of the IRS
1998 1040 tax manual) under short term capital gains,
it references two methods that one may use to Defer
the payment of "Short Term" capital gains. One of the
methods is to purchase common stock within 60 days
of selling a security which will be subject to short
term capital gains. I am simply looking for a definition
of common stocks and, weather or not can I purchase
Common Stock for Microsoft or AOL from my

In addition has anyone invested in Specialized Small
Business Investment Companies (SSBIC) or
purchased Common Stock in an attempt to defer short
term capital gains? If yes, please explain how I can
benefit from using one of the methods described

In my first reply I did not realize that the second paragraph related to the first. Sorry.

This is section 1202 stock.

The purchased co must have assets of less than $50,000,000. I think you can skip Microsoft and AOL.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.