Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[If you look in your tax manual (page D-4 of the IRS 1998 1040 tax manual)
under short term capital gains, it references two methods that one may use to
the payment of "Short Term" capital gains. One of the methods is to purchase
common stock within 60 days of selling a security which will be subject to short
term capital gains. I am simply looking for a definition of common stocks and,
weather or not can I purchase Common Stock for Microsoft or AOL from my
broker. ]]

I don't know what you are reading, but I think that you are making a bad interpretation. Believe me: If you sell your shares for a gain, you owe the taxes.

If you would like to wait until after April 15th and then post, word for word, what you are reading, I'll be glad to take a look at it and help you out with it.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.