Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
If you mean that they included much thinner rotors so that they wear out as fast as the pads, then that's lame.

I'm not completely sure, but I think it's because the van is a light duty commercial vehicle, the brakes have to be able to dissipate a lot of heat because they can carry a lot of weight. (They're generally rated at about 10,000 pounds fully loaded, give or take a bit depending on the specific equipment.) So they can't tolerate much wear on the rotors. Combine that with pretty thick pads, and they generally wear out together.

I've read reports of people getting 100k miles out of their brakes, so I don't see a problem. Granted, those reports are from people who put several hundred miles a day on their vans 5 or 6 or 7 days a week.

Some might say that changing pads every 5k or 10k miles on a little sports car is also crazy. In the end, you ask if the vehicle is doing what you want it to do at a reasonable cost.

Which gets back to the OP's question. Which is completely unanswerable without knowing what vehicle we're talking about and how they use that vehicle.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.