Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
If you rolled over a Roth IRA to a new custodian, directly or indirectly, as mentioned previously, if this transfer has happened within the past 5 years and you take a distribution, the new custodian will not provide the Q code in box 7 as the new custodian simply doesn't know how long you've held a Roth, only that you haven't held a Roth at least 5 years with them, assuming you are at least 59.5.

Your source documents on holding period are the 5498s the custodian sent you for each past contribution year. You do not complete an 8606 on Roth contribution as you would with non-deductible TIRA contributions. However, annual end-of-year Roth account statements would also work, assuming you've kept them.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.