Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you separate from service (retire, quit, whatever) with your employer any time in the year in which you turn 55, you can take withdrawals from your 401(k) without the 10% penalty. It doesn't matter if you go to work for someone else, you just have to leave that particular employer. It also doesn't matter if it's an annuity or lump sum distribution.

What happens if you return to work for the employer that you retired from. Can you continue to make penalty free withdrawals from your 401 (k)?
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.