No. of Recommendations: 0
If you take advantage of the foreign income exclusion to avoid taxation in the U.S. on those
earnings, then you will not be able to use those earnings as income on which to base allowable IRA
contributions, Roth or otherwise.


I have been working abroad for over a year and take advantage of the foreign income exclusion. I plan to return to graduate school in the US next year. I do not expect to be working during graduate school, which means that I will continue to have no taxable earnings on which to base an allowable IRA contribution. I am only 24 and would like to set up my first IRA (preferably a Roth IRA); however, from what I am reading on this board, that is not possible because I do not have taxable US income. My questions:

1.Has anyone successfully declined to exclude $2,000 from the foreign income exclusion and then used this taxable income for an IRA?
2. If option 1 is not feasible, has anyone living abroad found a creative way around this obstacle?

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.