No. of Recommendations: 2
...If you take the monthly payments, they will probably be taxed...

If you are not maxing out all your deductable retirment accounts(401k, IRA, etc)then you could do something like increase your 401k contributions by $400 a month and it woulk mostly offset the extra $400 pension income on your taxes. There could be some phase in or phase out income limits that might be involved so the offset might not be exact.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.