Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
If you take the tax deduction into account for your mortgage, your real interest rate is less than 7%. Depending on your tax bracket and your state taxes, let's say you are paying about 30% in taxes. If so then that mortgage interest deduction is like a 30% reduction in interest, so your actual interest rate is
7% * 70% = 4.9%

At this rate, it may make more sense to put your extra payments into a money market account than to pay down your mortgage. I still hate debt however, so I will continue to pay down my mortgage ahead of time.

One thing I forgot to take into account in this, is that the interest you gain on your money market will be taxed, so maybe this isn't such a great deal. I would say it makes sense to fund your 401(k) or your traditional IRA and/or your ROTH IRA before you pay down your mortgage. $2000 gaining 5% tax free in a Roth IRA money market is adding to your net worth faster than the real interest rate of 4.9% by paying down the mortgage.

Since you have to pay tax on an after tax investment, it still may make sense to pay off the mortgage unless you can exceed the 7% (or whatever it is) mortgage rate.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.