Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If you want to structure things with your son sub-leasing to some roommates, he would have to report the rental income from the roommates, but he'd also have one significant expense - a portion of the rent he pays to you. If he kept utilities in his name, he'd also have an expense for a portion of those utilities.

I was thinking that he would have the utilities in his name, so if he had 2 roommates, would he deduct 2/3 of the utilities as an expense? That seems to make sense to me.

How would that work on having any portion of the rent deductible as an expense for him?

I am thinking that all of this would be reportable on Schedule E for him. Is that correct?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.