Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
If you're not used to the length, practice, practice, practice.

We went to a big mall shopping center on a Sunday morning and took two or three dozen empty cat food cans to make a "street" (in one of the outlying parking areas.) Then I could K-turn, back up, turn corners as sharply as possible to see how sharp that really was, etc.

One thing I found out, which probably won't apply to you, is that no matter how sharply I turned a corner, the car I was towing behind *could not* hit anything, it followed so closely in the track of the rig. Anyway, I found the practice session invaluable.

I second the "don't try to drive too far" advice. We go 3-4 hours a day, occasionally more, once in a great while less. We don't get going until about 10am (miss the traffic) and we roll in before 3 and *always* get a good slot. Set up, drive around and reconnoiter that night (usually eat out), spend a full day there (more if a great locale), pull out the next morning - so each stop is 2 days minimum. Of course we're rarely in a hurry to get somewhere, we're just out for the sake of being out. Eventually we get where we're going.

Laundry rooms: the best place for local intelligence. Much better than the glossy brochures, usually.

If you aren't towing a car make sure there's an Enterprise (or similar) nearby if you're staying long. You don't want to have to disconnect and reconnect every time you want to go somewhere, and getting into some restaurant parking lots and tourist attractions is tough in an RV.

Good Sam directory; call ahead when you're getting close/getting tired of driving. KOAs are always clean, but there are sometimes campgrounds that are much more fun. And state and national parks, of course.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.