Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
If your assets are huge (however you define that), it always makes sense to diversify some, but anything can be carried to excess of course!

In the first place, there are limits on the amounts of insurance, for example I think it is $500,000 for brokerage accounts. We all should have that problem, but you may not (yet).

If I had a large amount of retirement funds (say, $1 million), I would probably have roughly half in a internet brokerage account such as Scottrade, and half in a direct investment with a mutual fund Co. such as Vanguard.

If you were filthy rich, you would probably be well advised to have some, perhaps most, of your money outside the United States. Chances are people that rich don't, or don't need to, read TMF.

The point is to diversify your risks. The chances of a Katrina or other disaster are small, but they happen. Vanguard (probably) is a sound company, but having half your assets with Fidelity or Schwab helps insure that you could access some of your assets if Vanguard's computers go out to lunch one day.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.