Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If your employer provides a retirement plan with a match, and you are not participating to the extent of the match, consider the following: Propose to yuor employer that they increase your slary by the amount of the imputed rent. Use that money to increase your contribution to the plan. Employer match plops in and you have found money. Then continue to deduct all business expenses, including a proportionate share of utilities, taxes mortgage interset, condo fees if any, and depreciation on your 8829. You should come out ahead.

If that doesn't work we're back to square one. The rent is income. All the items mentioned above are deductions.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.