Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
If your income is via a 1099MISC, then you are probably filing a schedule C. If so, take a look at line 31. Assuming you're not using any of this to contribute to a retirement plan, then the max you may contribute to an IRA or IRAs (if more than one) is the lesser of [line 31 - 1/2 SE Tax] or $6,500 per individual, assuming you are 50 or older.

If you are married filing jointly and your AGI is under $95,000 then you may make a deductible traditional IRA contribution for yourself...and...under the rules relating to a spousal IRA, a deductible TIRA contribution for your spouse. You have until April 15 (next week) to designate this contribution to 2013. You may do the same for 2014 if you have sufficient income as described above for 2014.

You don't give your age, but if you or your spouse are 70.5 or older, you may not make a contribution to your TIRA(s). But if your AGI is under $178,000, you may make a non-deductible contribution to your Roth IRA(s).

Author: "IRA:A Quick Reference Guide"
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.