Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
If your landlord was/is as incompetent as you've described you should be able to get out of paying this added expense for the last year. Yes, I have a good lawyer and I whip him out like a six-gun when people mess with me. As I recall you've got an unfixed leaky roof problem with this guy too.

Yep, they denied the requested rent reduction, but they have finally installed guttering to solve the problem.

Likewise, if you had a good lawyer draw up your lease you should have no problem breaking it. If you didn't have a good lawyer draw up the lease (or at the very least review & explain it to you and insert a clause or two in the landlord's lease) shame on you.

The lease was reviewed by my commercial realtor who was representing me. We made quite a few revisions; in fact we played two landlords against each other and ended up renting with the one who gave us the better offer. As I mentioned earlier, we pushed hard to limit the NNN increases to 5% per year, and the landlord agreed to this for the components of the NNN fees that they could control.

Who'd have thunk that the County was 2 years behind on assessing property improvements?

As to your location: don't fall in love with it. I didn't say anything about moving a few miles. If you look for it, you may find just what you need just around the corner, just down the block or across the street. Yes, "Inside SuperMall" looks great in your ads,

You don't seem to be paying attention: I'm not in a SuperMall, I'm in a regular ole strip mall. The one across the street is very similar (the one we negotiated with and who didn't quite match the offer of the place we rented from) and the ones down the street are about the same. I have a choice of moving south or east, basically. South means vastly increased property tax (above what I have now) since it's a different city, and east means simply that no other locations exist.

Put your pride aside and LOOK! Your business is not a "destination location" type.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. What I do is definitely a destination oriented business. People open up the Yellow Pages and look first for location when scouting for music lessons.

In other words people seek you out for the specific services you offer not as a place to shop. There are lower taxed older buildings out there, you've just got to be willing to look for them and that may mean putting aside your preconceived notions of how grand your musical castle needs to be.

I'm afraid there are not older buildings anywhere near where I'm at, unless I move back towards the older part of the city, which is packed with competitors, as I mentioned earlier.

Pride isn't a part of my decision to pick this location. It was the result of hours of research, and knowledge picked up from years in the business regarding the fact that there is a very high demand in my area for what I do. The price for that, is the fact that you really can't find an old place to rent because they don't exist in this area.

By the way, you don't need to "bold" your entire post. TMF just had a major debate regarding fonts etc., and regular print is plenty legible.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.