Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
If your parents can qualify as your dependents, you shouldn't need to be concerned about fair market rents, gifting or a schedule E. Like minor children, they would be your dependents that you could claim as dependents on your tax return.

Just a note for people who tend to grab one post and run with it. This is the first time in this thread that the issue of dependency has been raised, and it carries its own can of worms. I'm not so convinced that dependency eliminates any gift tax consideration. Pros?

And if they require dependent care and you are working, you may also be eligible for the dependent care credit.

Again, in the context of this thread (buying a house for the parents to live in) they would not qualify OP for the dependent care credit even if they needed 24/7 care that OP paid for. The qualifying person for that credit must live with you for more than half the year. After all, the point of the credit is to give you a little break since you have to hire help while you go make a living instead of providing the care yourself.

See Pub 503.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.