Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
If your work as a consultant involved being paid as an independent contractor, you report it on Schedule C.
If your regular job paid you enough (what is it, $72600?) so that you maxed out social security, you don't have to pay that on your consulting work, although you are still liable for medicare tax. It is earned income, and whether self-employed or an employee of your regular employer doesn't matter.
Note you can also deduct any non-reimbursed expenses incurred in conjunction with your consulting work on Schedule C.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.