No. of Recommendations: 1
If you're 55, you must remember the 70s...

1/1/73 S&P 500 was at 118
1/1/75 S&P 500 was at 68
1/1/82 S&P 500 was at 122 (and then started heading up, up, up)

I well remember those years, and the 60's. I recall a WSJ headline about the DOW and the S&P500 which went like this: Blue Chips or Blue Gyps? Pity ye widows and orphans. ... This was in the gunslinger era, when conglomerates were catching on. Nobody wanted the staid old blue chips. They wanted GROWTH and forget that stodgy stuff. Well, in the course of time the gunslingers got carried out feet first, and the S&P was rediscovered. I personally believe the S&P is overpriced in todays market. I don't have an S&P index in my portfolio, quite the opposite, I have the Vanguard Extended Market Index Fund, which is the Total Market Index Fund less the S&P 500.

The studies I recall took data for many combinations, for various mixes of stocks and fixed income securities, for various periods, and assumed a 5% withdrawal rate. The articles I mentioned date from the 1980's. I have a printed copy around here somewhere. The safest combination for long term was between 60 to 70% equities. I think Intercst's (from REHP) data show a similar thing. I actually took his data and plotted 30 year SWD versus starting year for various mixes, from 100% stocks to 100% fixed income. Interestingly, two years were pivotal: 1929 and 1968. Those two starting years dominated the rest completely, and a 60-70% equity mix was still "safest".

YMMV.

cliff
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.