Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
If you're looking for a true roadster, non-nannified, seat of your pants roar of the engine experience, the S2000 is hard to beat.
I can't disagree, and I drive one everyday. I tried hard to be neutral in my previous post. ;)

Only complaints I'm aware of on the S2000 is no passenger airbag cut off switch (no children riding shotgun)
This was added in '06, but the early models lack the cutoff switch.

and there are reports of quality issues with the soft top roof material.
Some have had issues with wear spots at some of the folding points. I haven't, but I once had a misfold that resulted in a small tear. A new top is $900 in parts, plus labor. Fortunately, mine was covered under warranty.

I'll also mention that '00 or '01 models have a plastic rear window (as does the Z3, if memory serves). IMO, this is a serious detractor, as the plastic windows cloud severely as they age.

The S2000 would not be for me, I prefer a lot of torque in my engine, not one with a fatter taller horsepower curve - but I hear the S2000 is an absolute BLAST.
The missing torque is less of an issue than you might think. While the engine only produces about 150lb-ft, the light weight (mine is down to 2750lb) and ridiculously short gearing makes it for that in a hurry. At low rpm it's a little weak, but above 3k it's more than adequate. Most people I have taken for a ride think there must be a V6 in there.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.