Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
If you're not trying to find better analysis than what intercst has done, why would you post 40+ times in the last day?

Every post I have put up has been a response to a question or comment of a community member. I have other things to do, and I would appreciate it if people would stop talking about this so that I could get to those other things. Having been responsible for starting this thing, I think I have an obligation to respond to genuine questions and comments that arise from it.

I'd request that you clarify exactly what you're trying to do here

I'm trying to have a discussion about early retirement on a discussion board about early retirement, Galagan. People who are reading more into it than that are making a mistake. I know what I am trying to do better than anyone else possibly could, and that is what I am trying to do.

If you are curious about why things are so confused, you might want to look at the "We've Found the Data!" post. I explain there that I was studying the question of safe withdrawal rates years before I ever heard the names intercst or Bernstein.

I have zero desire to find fault with the intercst study. If he didn't bring it up in every thread in which I discuss SWRs, I wouldn't need to. But he brings it up as if it addresses every aspect of the SWR question, and it doesn't. So, to make my points, I am forced to explain why the things he says about the study are not so. I am not being left any choice in this matter.

If you doubt my word on this, I can point you to a bunch of posts in the transcript in which I say that the intercst study became a valuable analytical tool for me when I discovered it. I recommended that readers of my Soapbox report buy the study and make use of it. I suspect that people got this idea that I have something against the study from reading some of the nonsense posts that have been put up during this thing. Widespread confusion is the natural result of disruptive posting.

I do not believe that the intercst study factors in everything affecting the safe withdrawal rate. But then how could it? Much of the data needed to do that is not even publicly available. If I asked intercst to address every aspect of the question, I would be asking the impossible of him. That's what some people are asking of me when they demand that I answer every last question before a discussion can even begin.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.