Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
If you've still got a $30,000 Zero Balance transfer out there, isn't it more appropriate to say that: while you may no longer have a bona fide "student loan", you still do have student loan debt?

Greetings, W505a, indeed I do consider that I have a form of student loan debt yet BUT I no longer owe it to Direct Loans! And what I am doing over the next year is saving like crazy to be able to pay of that $30K before a penny of interest is generated on it. I am banking the bulk of those savings to EARN interest while paying a smidge above the minimum each cycle to the credit card balance. Then, all at once next May, I am going to slam down the entire elephantine balance remaining on the card at once, bringing it to a zero balance with dizzying speed and THAT will be the true denouement. The great fun here is that over the next year I will actually be EARNING interest on the balance that I would otherwise have had to PAY interest on.

What lets me sleep at night over this are two facts: 1) I have disability insurance in case of a catastrophe, which is designed to replace the bulk of my income should there be a disruption, heaven forfend. And 2) I am willing to pull that $30K out of my retirement savings if I must, since I have had a Roth for over 5 years with my own contributions sufficient to tap if it came to that.

But say it won't (I've done this twice before, once with swatting down $30K onto the student loan a couple of years ago and another time last year to cover the downpayment on my house which was then paid off over the ensuing 12 months - not the mortgage, just the downpayment!). If all goes according to plan, then next June I will be left with only my mortgage as debt and am researching whether I want to accelerate payments on it, or to boost savings instead. This falls in the category of a good problem to have!

xraymd
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.