Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
ILC: Do you actually mean the dedicated DisplayWriter machine, or the DisplayWrite software for the PC? They're both pretty ancient, but I believe the hardware died out several years before the software.

Both, actually. My office-clerical jobs started with the dedicated DisplayWriter, and then later I worked some place which used DisplayWrite for PCs. I got the original idea on the DisplayWriter when the government agency I worked for had laws change too late for work to get to the printer, so I produced camera-ready copy. Then later took the ideas from that experience to save typesetting costs by doing it directly through DisplayWrite software and an ASCII modem transfer.
Yes, the dedicated hardware died out before the software gave up for WordStar, WordPerfect, et al.

You could probably make a lot of money developing a series of import/export filters to convert from one WP format to another. There are several companies that supply filters to all the major WP vendors, and all of the filters suck.

Wow. I knew folks had already done the filtering before I was ever in a position to do it for retail, but had not realized that the existing filters suck. Hmmmmm.

Doesn't Open Office do a good job of reading/writing Word .doc files? I don't swap files much, actually, except in ASCII, so had not realized there was a problem.

Seriously, thanks for the heads up on this. Will add it to my list of programming projects....

ILC
who notes that her corkboard is getting filled up with notecards!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.