Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
I'll be happy to share.

We make cheese, chocolate, oil and broth fondues. Make sure that the table where you put your pot is level. The pot gets really hot so prepare a safe place for it - on a heat proof mat on a surface that is OK if it gets splattered (ie: not your Grandma's antique waxed table)

I lay out my table with a plate & a couple of fondue forks (can use long skewers) for each guest, with dipping sauces in small bowls scattered around the table where everyone can reach them. The food to be dipped I arrange on platters around the table. A lazy Susan is good for this if you have one. Place the fondue pot in the center.

The idea is to dip the food on a fork into the fondue to cook/warm it. We usually transfer the food off the fondue fork onto the plate then eat it with a regular fork, because the cooking forks can get really hot.
Have fun!
------------
This cheese fondue recipe is from Tyler Florence and it's just *delicious*. Substitute cherry brandy for regular brandy or leave it out if you like. Use cheeses of your choice. Gruyere and Emmenthaler are my favorites but they are pricey (but so worth it)

When using my electric fondue pot, I make this in a heavy saucepan first to ensure it melts well, then transfer it to the fondue pot to keep it warm. If using a ceramic fondue pot, follow instructions for your pot.

Cheese Fondue

1/2 pound imported Swiss cheese, shredded
1/2 pound Gruyere cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 cup dry white wine (beer is good too)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon cherry brandy, such as kirsch
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch nutmeg

In a small bowl, coat the cheeses with cornstarch and set aside. Rub the inside of the ceramic fondue pot with the garlic, then discard. Over medium heat, add the wine and lemon juice and bring to a gentle simmer. Gradually stir the cheese into the simmering liquid. Melting the cheese gradually encourages a smooth fondue. Once smooth, stir in cherry brandy, mustard and nutmeg.

Serve with chunks of French bread. Some other suggestions are Granny Smith apples and vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and asparagus. Spear with fondue forks or wooden skewers, dip, swirl and repeat.

------------------------
Chocolate Fondue (also from Tyler Florence)

16 ounces good chocolate (dark, milk, semisweet)
1/2 pint heavy cream
3TBL liqueur or Torani syrup of choice (we like raspberry or coffee liqueur)
1/2 cup caramel topping (I usually omit this and add extra cream)

Place all ingredients in fondue pot over low heat. Stir constantly until the mixture is melted and smooth. Don't let it start to boil. Dip strawberries, bananas, apples, grapes, cherries, cubed pound cake, marshmallows, raisins, dried apricots, nuts ...

I also make this in a pan over low heat first then transfer it to the fondue pot. Chocolate fondues are typically made in smaller pots because they are so rich.

-------------------------
Oil Fondue

Peanut oil
Cubed tenderloin or sirloin steak, trimmed of fat
Chicken tenders, cubed
Peeled raw shrimp, firm fish
Large vegetable chunks of choice
Dipping sauces of your choice

Heat metal fondue pot filled with peanut oil on stove until it reaches 360 degrees. (Or use electric pot). Do NOT use ceramic pots intended for cheese or chocolate fondue for an oil fondue. The electric pot can be used for all types.

Spear meat of choice and dip into hot oil for 1-3 minutes until cooked as you like it. Dip in sauce of your choice and eat. It's good to put a selection of sauces in small bowls around the table for your guests to try.

Some ideas for sauces: steak sauce, melted butter mixed with chopped fresh herbs, bearnaise sauce, bleu cheese, sour cream and mustard, honey mustard, horseradish mixed with sour cream, cocktail sauce spiced with hot sauce for fish, tartar sauce ... asian sauces, chili, curry, satay, anything you can think up. If you would like specific recipes for dipping sauces, I'll post some.

-------------------
A broth fondue is done much the same way. Heat 4 cups broth on stove in fondue pot, then transfer to fondue burner, or use electric fondue pot. I add a chopped onion and some chopped fresh herbs/garlic to the simmering broth along with black pepper.

We use chicken or beef broth, depending on what we're dipping, brought to a simmer then dip vegetables, chicken or steak into it until cooked. Don't crowd the pot or things will take too long to cook.

We serve this with Asian sauces but anything you like is good. The broth after all the meat and veggies have been cooked in it makes an interesting soup.

------------------
Amanda
just wrote her longest ever post

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.