Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I’ll comment on self storage since I’ve owned one for about 20 years.

Like anything real estate, location, location, location. Mine happens to be on a busy highway, so get lots of independent contractors storing stuff there that they can’t keep at job sites. It also feeds off the trailer park next door. This is an older facility built back in the 70s so there have been maintenance issues over the years. Mostly roofing and security fences/cameras.

If starting from scratch, I’d do gross majority climate control especially if you’re in a very humid environment. I currently have none and not too feasible to build at my site. Go for larger storage rooms, 10x10 as smallest. I currently go up to 10x30. First thing I did was convert 5x10s into bigger places. Have as much automation as possible: security gates, indoor access, collections/payments, etc.

Biggest thing is location. If not easy to access not going to attract people.

JLC
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.