Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
This may be a very FOOLish question... but I don't know the answer, so here goes. I have calculated that I will be better off converting to a Roth from my regular IRA. But how do I do it? Is it done through the brokerage house and do they send the taxes due or is it done through the IRS? Since I will have to pay this hefty tax bill with funds from the account, do I need to liquidate funds and stocks in my account to pay the tax due? And (ouch!)is there anyway to avoid the 10% penalty? Must it all be done in one year or can it be split over many years? And... (final question) will doing this raise my current tax bracket all income for the year? Thank you. :)
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.