Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'll forgive you for your typos in that last quote, with your keyboard being all in pieces to this point. But I can't forgive your saying that GSM is the dominant technology used by the whole world. Or maybe emphasis should be put on the used as in used to be used. What kind of digital technology will your Nokia be using a year from now? Two years from now? CDMA can do so much more than GSM it's scary. I'm pretty sure that the next Nokia cellular you buy will be a CDMA.

Keith et al...

You may want to be careful here. There are several issues between CDMA and the G3 and G2.5 versions of GSM as well as GSM itself. CDMA has higher (not terribly) data rates but voice quality, from all I have read and personally heard, as well as roaming goes to GSM. There is a tradeoff there. But, both will improve in the long run so it is still quite the horse race.

There is a danger of becoming overly US centric in thinking that goes on here. If it's big here it will eventually be big in the rest of the world. This is a dangerous thought in technology in general, IMO. I suspect that these two versions will eventually be the same open protocol in version G4 if I had to guess.

Finally, a thought that often isn't mentioned in wireless when talking data rates etc. Data transfer takes power. Higher rates means higher power consumption typically in these devices. Hence, for handheld appliances, with battery technology going nowhere particularly fast (reaching the limits of chemical power output). So, there may well be limits on the data rates folks are willing to pay for.

I would suggest you read the posts on the Wireless World and Sonera (SNRA) boards by mycroft and tero who are both very knowledgeable about wireless.

Bottom line, not much out there is the slam dunk the current analysts make of it. And, dont underestimate the worlds ability to cut off its nose to spite it's face in regard to proprietary american standards.

regards,

jgc

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.