Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 57
I'll retire without gov't aid. I'll get good ole fashion insurance and take care of myself by exercising and eating a strict diet. What a big overweight, over-sized cry baby.

Well, that's a dandy plan - unless somewhere along the line some anonymous doctor has made a mistake on your records and all those nice insurance companies decide you have "a pre existing condition" and refuse to insure you, which is what happened to me.

But let's say there was not mistake - but that you still DO have a pre-existing condition. The insurance companies won't touch you (unless they are forced to with, you know, 'government aid.')

'good ole fashion insurance' is a great concept right up until the moment that the insurance companies refuse to do business with you . Then your choices are 1) risk your familiy's welfare (the biggest single reason for personal bankruptcy prior to the advent of Obamacare: medical bills), or 2) keep working until you are Medicare eligible, which I note, is "government aid."

Ah yes, the heroic myth of the rugged individual, where government intrusion is never warranted. I happen to be one of the millions where not only was it warranted, it would have changed my life and allowed me the freedom to start my own company. And it's not as though I was 400 pounds and sedentary. Around 190, 6' tall, active, but yes, smoker in my youth

Here is the story which I have told before. You might want to look at the rec count on it. Surely not everyone was so affected, but I'll bet many were.

http://boards.fool.com/i-apply-for-insurance-i-get-insurance...
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.