Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'll take a shot at these.

1) My assumption is that the "cash" dividend is still held in the 401k account. Otherwise, you will have to pay tax (and perhaps penalties) on it. I would also assume that you would then be able to invest the "cash" in any of the options currently available in the 401k plan. I assume that Fidelity is running the plan? You might try asking them again (different person on the phone sometimes does the trick). Also, you might try asking at your company (HR).

2) Myself, I would avoid such a proposition. The risk of such a fund isn't worth it to me. However, you have to make that decision. I would suspect that the reason you are offered this is that someone who runs the fund has a friend at your company...just a guess though. Never assume that your company has your best interest at heart. :)

Oh, and you mention that you have a large portion of your 401k in company stock. If you aren't able to sell the company match part (exchange it for other funds), you can always hedge this risk in a regular brokerage account. This requires money outside of the 401k and I would suggest talking to someone with experience in options (shorting a stock) if this is of interest to you.

Hope that helps.

justpatrick
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.