Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'll tell you how I know -- many years in the IRS salt mines.

What you are discussing is called a "Substitute for Return" and is ONLY done when the IRS computer system calculates you would owe them if you filed OR if you filed a schedule C (and maybe an E now that they are matching K-1's) the last year you filed prior to the one in question.

The SFR is calculated at single or married filing separately if you filed jointly on the last year you filed prior to the one in question. They only look back for filing status, not forward.

wtam is correct they add up all income from W-2's, 1099's and now maybe K-1's and tax it. You can ALWAYS file your own return at any point even after the three year refund statute. You won't get a refund but a balance due will go away.

If the IRS has already done an SFR for someone, there are special addresses to send the taxpayer's return to. The account has to be adjusted manually. It cannot go through processing because a return has already been posted to the account and the account now must be changed like an amended return is done. DO NOT send a 1040X in this situation.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.