Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 10
I'll throw in a few comments here about CNBC and reporting in general...

Here is the leading TV business news outfit in the world reporting something as "news" based on what some relatively obscure wire service wrote, without even trying to do any diligence.

Believe me, if CNBC had to really verify everything they reported, some of the news might be a day old and we'd all be up in arms saying "Just give us something!" ;)

First, I've never heard of this BridgeNews service before. But reflecting back to my days in television news, we surely didn't start off every non-local story with "According to the Associated Press..." *Sometimes* we did when attribution seemed necessary.

Yes: "This just in.... the Associated Press says three marines are dead after a bomb exploded in South Nowhere just a few moments ago."

No: "The Associated Press says the Pope toured an orphanage in North Nowhere today."

So... while you may argue "warned of lower margins" fits into the "yes" category, there are plenty who would argue the opposite. I'm taking no position on whether Kernan should have attributed his source when reading that (though I'm leaning toward "no," I don't want every mildy-seeming bad story to start with "According to BridgeNews..."), but I will say there's really no way for the CNBC team to call and verify every wire story before reporting it.

We can, however, debate whether BridgeNews is an accurate enough source for them to use.

They give themselves license to report as fact what they have not objectively determined IS fact. Traditionally that's been called yellow journalism.

No, yellow journalism was when the editor of a paper would inject his interpretation of the news instead of reporting it objectively.

The high ratings that these guys enjoy have got to be more related to their haircuts than to their professional acuity.

I watch them because they deliver the business news in a hilarious and entertaining way. I realize that not all folks like that, but obviously a lot do.

Just my .02 (diluted),

orangeblood
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.