Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'll try to answer some of your questions, but others may be better than I at explaining things.

1. Only itemize if you can take over the standard deduction. Since you are single, that is over 4700 dollars. From what I see, you may be borderline for single. And you wouldn't make it at all if you're married. Usually itemizeing only works if you have a mortgage or a boatload of medical expenses.

2. Student loan interest is off of gross on the front of the 1040. So take as much as you can.

3. As for the tuition, run the numbers, but Lifetime Learning comes off the tax, dollar for dollar. Almost always this is better than reducing gross.

4. Parking is subject to the 2 percent of AGI. In your case, 2% of 37783 is around 756. Your parking is only 570. If your AGI comes out to 24813, then it's 496 and the parking is just barely deductible.

5. The tornado loss (wow, what bad luck!) is reduced by 100 dollars and then by 10% of AGI. So probably not deductible.

6. Don't know about the 403b and IRA limits, the people I see to do taxes for rarely contribute to such things. Need all their money just to pay bills.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.