Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I went to Illinois for my Aunt's memorial service. She pasted away last year but we weren't able to make arrangements at that time for obvious reasons. Knowing this might be the last time I visit that part of the country (my Aunt was kind of the last one out there), I did some research ahead of time. A lot of my family are buried out there so I wanted to take pictures of the headstones. I contacted the cemeteries to see if they could provide maps so I wouldn't waste days wandering around. My homework paid off. We spent a couple of hours driving around, but we were able to find 28 out of the 30 I had listed. We also found some additional family members that were located around the other sites on my list (a little further afield if you will). All in all, I think I took around 50 pictures of headstones. Not a bad bit of sleuthing.

AC *now I need to enter all the info in my spreadsheet and send it out to the fam*
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Did/Do you know about this site? https://www.findagrave.com/ They have thousand of head stones and if none of your fam is there, submit your images?

I found my birth mom thru this site... (long story, really long!)
No. of Recommendations: 3
That site actually helped me find a Great Aunt who wasn't buried in the cemetery with everyone else. We couldn't find her and neither of us had been to the funeral. She was in a cemetery outside of town.

There were a number of things that came up during our wandering. I mentioned to my cousin that maybe we should have brought some water and a rag. A couple of the mow-overs were dirty. She said, "you mean a brush."

Also, it made me wonder about the people who post the pictures on Find a Grave. I didn't recognize some of the names who posted pictures of my relatives so it makes me wonder why they did it. We speculated that since the Mormons had been based near there that it could have been their genealogical team. The website is linked with Ancestry.com. And there was this random couple who left "a flower" (virtually) many of the graves.

AC *shrug*
No. of Recommendations: 2
Yes, something to make it presentable or at the least, make it viewable for the camera. And yes, I think a brush would do the best job, with the least effort.

I suspect there were some photo-g's that wanted to earn a few extra $ and went around shooting grave stones. I can see it... especially if a "request was made". "Go find this grave"... I can do that.