Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm a marketing exec, so let me take a simple stab at answering the question.

Markets are simply where buyers/customers and sellers/suppliers come together. Markets exists for apples, computer chips, and potato chips: anything that is bought and sold. Suppliers to the "Market" compete for a % of customer orders. This % is called "market share."

If a company is "gaining market share" they are increasing their % ownership of the market.
******* END OF THE SHORT ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION ********

EXTRA CREDIT: When Gaining Market Share is Bad
------------
Please BE CAREFUL when evaluating "gains in market share." I mean, that sure sounds like a good thing, right? My company is having an increase in orders of widgets! Customers want more, we make more, we SELL more! Surely, that's a GOOD thing, right?

Maybe not. I have a sure-fire way to make customers BUY MORE. Cut the price. Think about your last trip to the grocery. You see Coke is on sale. Coke was not on your grocery list; you have plenty of Coke at home. But, dang! 3 twelve-packs for $5?! So you buy Coke.

Two bad things about this scenario for the supplier (e.g., Coke). First, they cut their price. This is not always a bad thing. IF the volume increases sufficiently, Coke makes out great in the deal. On the other hand, if the volume lags projections, the company loses money on the price cut. THEY GAIN MARKET SHARE, BUT LOSE OUT ON THE DEAL. Think about that a while.

Second, price cuts can lead to customers doing something called a "forward buy." In our grocery store example, you did this when you bought Coke that you did not need. You would now have next month's Coke purchase sitting in your pantry at home. Now, you will not buy Coke next month! THEY GAIN MARKET SHARE now, BUT LOSE FUTURE SALES.

Anyway, there are folks (myself included) who make entire careers out of this stuff. Marketing is not about sipping martinis at a 2-hr lunch. Marketing is a quantitative business discipline. And, for those companies where it is not? Those are not businesses worth having in your portfolio.

I hope all this helps! Good luck!!
All the best,
Boz

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.