Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm a work at home housewife with no reportable earned
income.Where should I be putting my "rainy day money" that I do
not need for 15-20 years? Would a Roth IRA or traditional IRA
be my best investment?

If your spouse has reportable income and you file jointly, then you may contribute a maximum of $2000 to an IRA. Since your contribution will not be deductable, you might as well put in a Roth IRA, provided your husband's income is not over the maximum allowed for a Roth.

With either IRA, as a general rule, you cannot tap those funds until age 59 1/2 without taxes and penalities (there are some exceptions to this).

For more details, check out
All About IRAs at

Hope this helps :-)

Print the post  


TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.