Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 54
Thanks to all of you who have showed concern during my absence from this board. I apologize for keeping you all in the dark for so long about my status and whereabouts.

As you can see, I have a new board name. I figured I'd just use my name, as that's the easiest way for those that know me to recognize me when they see me post.

Okay. You're probably wondering what happened. I first started writing for TMF in December 1997/January 1998 when the Cash King/Rule Maker port was launched. Initially, I wrote on a contract basis. However, deep down I truly wanted to be a full-time Fool. I tried and tried to find the right position, but my desire to provide for my family made it difficult to find the right fit for both me and TMF. In August of last year I upped my status to part-time Fool with an intent to convert to full-time within the next few months. Then things started to take a downturn for The Fool, so I became a bit more hesitant about giving up my full-time job.

In February I lost my part-time status as part of the layoffs at that time. I was certainly disappointed at that turn of events, but in the grand scheme of things I was okay with it. I figured if cutting my spot allowed another TMF'er to retain theirs it was okay. After all, I've got a full-time job and nice income. Many others that were let go did not.

After I was laid off I had discussions with others at TMF about returning to contract status. I helped out with the most recent RM Seminar on that basis. I also wrote the final Cisco research report. I wanted to take some time to catch up on life and spend more time with my family. I had then intended to write at least occasionally for RM. But, that seemed to become less of a possibility due to the Matt Richey's decision to leave as well as financial considerations of the Fool.

Will I do any writing again? We'll see. I've had discussions about writing something for TMF Select and RM recently. I'm not sure if something will be worked out in that regard or not. Hopefully, it will. But, if not, that's okay, too.

I enjoyed my time as a TMF immensely. The e-mails and comments I've gotten on the boards over the years have been wonderful. One of the more amazing things was all the e-mails I received when I shared how we had to put my long loved dog of 14+ years, Amelia to sleep.

I think that there's a real need for much of what the Fool has to offer. I hope that ultimately the organization is successful. This forum has enabled me to learn a great deal and make many wonderful friends. My level of knowledge now as opposed to when I first started writing has increased immensely. This has been the result of both my own efforts and my interactions with other community members.

As for the future, I'll continue to participate on this board (and maybe some others, we'll see). However, I probably won't be around as much, as I'm enjoying spending more time with my family including our wonderful children. I've started taking our puppy to obedience training, and I bring our soon to be 4-year old son along with me. That's going to be a lot of fun. I get a bit more sleep than I used to, and I'm trying to sort out some other issues that need to be sorted out as well.

I see that you have started culling through companies for Fisher analysis. I look forward to sharing in that effort. I also took a 2-day course last week on Modern Financial Analysis that's part of my continuing professional education as a CPA. Hopefully, some of what we reviewed in my course can be shared here as well.

For those of you that are wondering. Mycroft is doing fine. He called me from his new home on Friday night and sounded good.

That's about all for now. I'll begin the process of reviewing the messages I haven't read yet and interjecting my comments where they may be called for soon.

Fool On!

Phil

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.