Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm assuming a good autocross driver is better able to feel out a fast line in a short amount of time.

That is one of the key skills that autocrossers learn, but track day drivers and club racers usually don't learn as quickly or as well. It was a huge advantage when I raced in the '80s and '90s because I did a lot more autox than track driving. During my last go-around, I did way too much club racing and only a couple of autoxes, which was exactly backwards from what I should have done. I expected to have some serious deficits of basic skills after a long gap out of the cockpit, but the ones that I lacked were not what I expected.

When my job/family situation opens up enough that I can go play on the weekends again, I plan to focus on autox exclusively until I really feel ready for the track. I hope to find a good driver coach during that time.

Just to quantify my performance through Riverside: Entry speed was 128 mph, minimum was 110, and max lateral was 1.82g on my best lap. If you fall off the track in those conditions, you are going to go a long way through the dirt with a good chance of going upside down. I would ease the throttle back down as quickly as I felt comfortable with. I did ease up toward the limit during the race, and I found it late in the race. The rear end started sliding, but I caught it with a lift and countersteer. That sort of risk was way more than I was ready to handle given my lack of skills and recent experience.

Neil
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.